I ran a 10 mile race this morning and didn't die!!!

PJ 10 miler

I woke up this morning at 6:15am to run a 10 mile race, which was about 1 minute too late to beat all the traffic. We accidentally missed our intended exit and ended up sitting in traffic for 15 minutes, which got me to starting line with only about 3 minutes to spare and no time to pee. Poor Erica. I told her I'd meet her at 7:40, not 7:55. Luckily, she was still at our designated meeting spot and we didn't miss the start of the race. Just barely though because the line was already moving when we got in it which meant that technically the race had already started. Good thing there are a bunch of other crazy people who get up at the butt-crack of dawn to run 10 miles, too.

The whole thing is pretty much a blur now. I wasn't as nervous before this race as I thought I would be. I'm not sure why, considering it's the biggest race I've ever done and close to the most I've ever run in my entire life {I've done just over 11 miles before, but not in a race - i.e. not as fast}.

We plodded along the first couple miles without any significant happenings. We were discussing that the route turns around and we might get to see some of the faster runners come back down the other side of the street. About a minute later I see Josh coming back and I think, "ALREADY?!?!?" But poor Mr. B is still injured and sick so he opted out after about 2 miles. I don't blame him since he was coughing up "lung pudding" all morning. We did get to see some of the wheelchair competitors though, which was really cool.

About 2.5 miles in or so, a fierce wind blasted us and even took Erica's hat with it! It was pretty hard to run and there for a minute I felt like I was stuck on a treadmill going in the opposite direction with as much progress as we were making.

Once we got to about the 3 or 3.5 mark we entered Iroquois park and even though I knew that meant 3 miles of hills, it was almost a relief just to be somewhat shielded from the wind. I knew Iroquois was hilly but I had never run there so I didn't know exactly what to expect. They were pretty killer, but we made it! It may or may not have helped that there was a random man standing by himself cheering for us. It made for a good laugh anyway. Once we got out of the park there were only about 4 miles left which was such a good feeling!

Then it started raining. That was fun.

The weather forecast had said it was supposed to hold off until 10am.... they lied. It arrived promptly at 9:00. It was a cold rain, which at first I thought was going to be miserable but it was actually kind of nice. Luckily it wasn't a heavy downpour so it wasn't too terrible! And it only lasted for a little bit.

Once we got out of the park I was feeling pretty good until we got to about mile 8.5-9ish. I felt great physically, but my legs were so tired {from the killer hills} that they were having a hard time picking it up!

The last little stretch goes over an over-pass, which is actually a lot steeper than I thought. Or it could just be the fact that I was trying to run up it after already running 9 miles. Once we got over that I knew we were almost there!! We made the turn into the stadium and then Gertie beeped to let me know we had run 10 miles! "GREAT!" I thought, and then wondered why in the world we were still running. Someone with a cruel sense of humor thought it would be a brilliant idea to have us run around the whole inside of the stadium, which added on an extra .2 miles.

But we made it, all 10.2 miles in 1 hour and 50 minutes!!

My big goal was to do it around 1:45-1:50... but my main goal was just to do it in under 2 hours! And since it was actually 10.2 miles and not just 10 and considering the wind, rain, and hills, I am very happy with my time!!!!

PJ 10 miler

PJ 10 miler

PJ 10 miler

At the end they gave us pizza, which was fitting since it's called the Papa John's 10 miler.

PJ 10 miler

However, lucky for Josh, I never feel like eating anything right after I run so he got 2 pieces of pizza! I was happy to stick with my favorite Panera bagel, which I didn't even eat until a few hours later...

PJ 10 miler

Poor guy with his Breathe Right strip on his nose. Those things really work though!

PJ 10 miler

So glad my mom came!! She had a great time, which I think is mostly because she got to hang out with Eric and Katie's schnauzer, Jackson...


Despite the wind and the rain and the hills, I had a really good run! Over all I felt pretty good. I had a little bit of pain in my left knee, which probably could have been prevented if I had put kinesio tape on it like I did the left. I'm not sure what that stuff actually does, but it works! Plus it made me feel like an official runner. My hip hurt a little bit, but not until we stopped running.

Running the 10 miler made me confident that I actually can do the mini! I know I've run 10 miles before, but for some reason the race feels different... like official or something. That'll be another 3 miles, but if I really had to I could have done it. I just would have demanded more bagels at the end. As it was, I only got one bagel, a water bottle, some Powerade, and a piece of pizza for Josh who waited diligently for almost 2 hours for me to run in a big circle.

I can't believe that my very first ever 5k was 6 months ago today, and now here I am 6 months later and I just ran 10 miles! I never ever would have thought I could do this, especially 6 months ago! I really can't believe how far I've come!!!

The Triple Crown is officially done.... now all that's left is the mini!!!! Only 3 weeks away!!

P.S. #4 on my 23 things list = DONE! :o)

Papa John's 10 Miler
April 3, 2010

Distance: 10.2 miles
Time: 1:50:20 / 10:50 pace