sweet potato brownies
Yesterday was our 2nd annual "Fall Treats Baking Party!"
It was also day 1 of the "zone diet" which made things interesting. I'm pretty sure most sweets are not zone-appropriate, so I found a recipe for paleo brownies that I thought would be the closest thing. Probably not totally in the zone, but still healthy as far as brownies go.
Here are the ingredients:
- 1 sweet potato
- 3 eggs (whisked)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- 3 tbs coconut flour
- 2 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
So after reading the ingredients I was pretty sure these brownies would suck. No sugar? A sweet potato?!
But I followed the instructions..
- Bake sweet potato. (Actually, I microwaved it)
- Once it is soft & cooked through, peel off the skin and mash it up in a bowl.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Now add your wet ingredients: coconut oil, honey, vanilla, and whisked eggs to the bowl and mix together.
- Then add your dry ingredients: coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and chocolate chips.
- Mix well to incorporate all that goodness.
- Pour into an 8×8 glass baking dish
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
And that's it! Easy peasy. Now it was time for the final verdict...
Two thumbs up!!!
And actually, Gage said they were even better than his real-sugar sugar cookies!
They are really pretty good! I was pleasantly surprised :) They're a little different but they don't scream we're a sucky healthy version of something that usually tastes a lot better! And they're pretty moist and fudgy! I'd say they're a total win for a healthy version of something chocolatey!
Try 'em! They are basically guilt-free! ;)